There are many steps involved in developing organic markets. The resources available on this page can help to facilitate the numerous aspects of market development, including:
- Building consumer awareness of the benefits of Organic Agriculture.
- Developing mechanisms (e.g. labels) enabling consumers to easily identify organic.
- Building consumer trust in the organic label and the guarantee system associated with it.
- Conducting market surveillance and fighting against fraud.
General resources on market development
- Building sustainable organic sectors, Inger Källander and Gunnar Rundgren (Grolink) IFOAM - Organics International, January 2008, Chapter on Market Development.
- The Organic Business Guide - Developing Sustainable Value Chains with Smallholders, Bo van Elzakker and Frank Eyhorn, IFOAM - Organics International, 2010.
- Developing local market initiatives for organic products in Asia, IFOAM - Organics International, 2004
- Entering the organic export market. A practical guide for farmers’ organisations. Agrodoc-series No. 48, Agromisa Foundation, 2010
Resources for consumer awareness campaigns
- Organic messages
- European Union Toolbox for marketing organic, including key messages and slogans, marketing materials, radio and TV ads, and a photo list
- How to Respond to Frequent Misconceptions about Organic Agriculture, The Counter-Arguments, IFOAM - Organics International, 2008
Resources on organic labels
- Directory of the most common organic labels
- Comprehensive database of ecolabels including organic labels: Ecolabel index
Resources on building consumer trust in the guarantee system
- The Organic Guarantee System of IFOAM - Organics International
- Building Trust in Organic - a publication by IFOAM - Organics International
- Information from the EU commission on consumer confidence
Resources on market surveillance and fraud prevention
Information on market models
Virtual market places
This section provides links to several international virtual market places, which aim at facilitating contacts between importers and exporters of organic products.
- Greentrade.net is a virtual market place in 3 languages: English, French and Spanish. It contains precise offers from both buyers and sellers of organic products, arranged by category of products (e.g. fruits and vegetables).
Ekowarehouse is a global B2B eMarketplace for certified green/organic/fair trade/ecolabel products & materials, connecting buyers and suppliers across the supply chain from farmers, producers and manufacturers to wholesalers, retailers and brand creators.
B2BIO is a global "b2b" trade portal specializing in the organic and biodynamic sector, based on sustainability and innovation.
Biolinked provides suppliers the tools necessary to reach wholesale buyers locally and globally & helps buyers find organic food products quickly and efficiently.