For many years there has been a desire to improve coordination within the Southern African organic sector through a centralized platform focusing on growth and development.
In 2012, during the second African Organic Conference, ISAN held its first meeting. ISAN, the IFOAM Southern African Network, represents the SADEC countries of Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, and the Seychelles.
The network’s primary objectives are to raise consumer awareness, address policy issues, expand participatory approaches to agriculture, establish three evidence-based comparative system trials in Southern Africa, and improve information access and efficiency. Through these efforts, ISAN is working to develop the organic agroecological sector across Southern Africa.
The General Assembly of IFOAM Southern African Network is planned to be held in September 2021 in Rennes, depending on COVID-19 restrictions.
Address: 194 Baines Avenue, Harare, Zimbabwe
- Madagascar: Rames Abhukara & Winifred Fitzgerald, Better U Foundation
- Malawi: Stanley Chidaya, Malawi Organic Growers Assn,
- Namibia: Manjo Smith, NOA; Judith Isele, Namibia Centre for Holistic Management; Christiane Hilbert, NOA, Suzette Jansen van Vuuren, NOA; Wiebke Volkmann, NOA
- South Africa: Kgomo Petje, DAFF; Herman Mootane, DAFF; Heinrich Schultz, SAOSO; Liesl Haasbroek, BDAASA; Raymond Auerbach, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, Bheki Dlamni, Department of Trade and Industry, Liz Eglington, SAOSO
- Zambia: Munshimbwe Chitalu, OPPAZ; Sebastian Scott, Old Orchard Organic Farm; Charles K Mubanga, OPPAZ; Lyson Mwanza, OPPAZ; Patrick Chiwawa, OPPAZ; Munshimbwe Chitalu, OPPAZ; Hector Mpengula, OPPAZ, Daniel Kalala, Kasisi Agric Training Centre, Robson Nyirenda, Kasisi; Bridget O’Connor, Kasisi; Wilfred Miga, PELUM Regional Desk
- Zimbabwe: Fortunate Nyakanda, ZOPPA
- Raymond Auerbach SOUTH :AFRICA-Raymond.Auerbach@mandela.ac.za
- Brighton Mvumi- ZIMBABWE: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Janet Gracie-South Africa: email@example.com
- Colleen Anderson-SOUTH AFRICA: email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Manjo Krige-BOTSWANA: email@example.com
- Fortunate Nyakanda-ZIMBABWE: firstname.lastname@example.org
ISAN has plans to put a new Executive Board after the elections which will take place during their General Assembly.