The IFOAM International Animal Husbandry Alliance (IAHA) is an informal network of individuals and organizations interested in supporting and strengthening the development of organic animal husbandry.
The IAHA Pre-Conference “Organic Animal Husbandry systems – Ways to improvement ”, linked to the IFOAM Organic World Congress, will take place on Monday, September 6th and Tuesday, September 7th 2021.
The IFOAM International Animal Husbandry Alliance offers an exciting and interesting programme with 30 papers and poster contributions. There will be sessions on:
- Improving organic cattle systems
- Organic production and product and process quality
- Animal health management and use of bioactive medicinal plants and other alternative therapeutics
- Sustainable livestock rearing and breeding systems for pigs
- Development, research and dissemination needs in specific areas of organic animal husbandry (Discussion in groups)
- The future of animal husbandry – perspectives from farmers and (climate) scientists (invited key-note speakers through video).
You can download the preliminary programme of the IAHA Pre-Conference 2021.
The Pre-Conference is planned as a video conference (using ZOOM system), organised by FiBL, the Research Institute of Organic Agriculture.
If the Corona situation allows, we also keep the option to organize the IAHA Pre-Conference as a mixed one, virtual as well as on-site, in Rennes. This will depend how the organizers of the Organic World Congress will decide, most likely mid of June 2021. More information will be available on the IFOAM Website: https://owc.ifoam.bio/2020/en
If you are interested to participate in the IAHA Pre-Conference 2021, you need also to register for participation at the Organic World Congress (OWC), at least on-line. See OWC website link for registration: https://owc.ifoam.bio/2021/registration
The registration for the IAHA Pre-Conference is not possible yet, but should be hopefully open after mid of June 2021. There will be additional costs for the IAHA Pre-Conference, however, we try to keep low costs for participation. We will keep you posted on that.
There is still an option to offer a small excursion on a farm in the evening on first day, additionally also already on Sunday, but only if there will be an in-person congress taking place in Rennes. More information will be available in July 2021 on this website.
If you have questions on the IAHA Pre-Conferences, send an email to Otto Schmid, FiBL Switzerland, chair of IAHA-Pre-Conference: firstname.lastname@example.org
Successful IAHA Video Conference in September 2020
IAHA has organised a video conference on September 21, 2020 (morning) and September 22, 2020 (morning) on Organic Animal Husbandry Systems.
There were 15 paper contributions and 5 posters presented on different aspects of organic animal husbandry. 140 persons had registered.
All the texts of the contributions can be found in the IAHA proceedings “Organic Animal Husbandry systems – challenges, performance and potentials”,September 2020.
In this newsletter you will find the reminder about the deadlines for submitting contributions to both, the Science Forum at the Organic World Congress 2020 in Rennes, France and the IAHA Pre-Conference. There is also more detailed information about the Pre-Conference itself.
The October 2011 General Assembly of IFOAM - Organics International recommended that animal husbandry be given more emphasis by our organization. A group of interested individuals, supported by the IFOAM World Board, began to organize and the IFOAM Animal Husbandry Alliance (IAHA) was born in November 2012 upon approval by the World Board. IAHA is the global platform for addressing animal health and welfare, breeding techniques, feeding (e.g. roughage versus concentrates), and related issues.
Objectives & Activities
The most recent IAHA contributions include:
- A platform for researchers, advisors, farmers, and other interested parties to be heard. This was achieved through a pre-conference on animal husbandry held at the 2017 Organic World Congress (OWC);
- A workshop on organic livestock development issues at the 2017 OWC;
- Policy recommendations for the IFOAM General Assembly on the organic sector and movement can support and develop animal husbandry.
IAHA would like to become more active in supporting organic livestock producers through increased advocacy and input into IFOAM decision-making. The network would also like to facilitate learning opportunities at the farmer, institutional, and organizational levels and be in a position to provide recommendations to stakeholders in the organic movement.
For all IAHA-related inquiries: email@example.com
- Otto Schmid ( Switzerland)
- Angela Escosteguy (Brazil)
- Chris Atkinson (UK)
- Mahesh Chander (India)
- Muazzez Cömert Acar(Turkey)
- Marion Johnson (New Zealand)
- François Labelle (Canada)