IFOAM IRAN was established in 2014 with the objectives of:
- pursuing the IFOAM's objectives among governmental and non-governmental organizations in Iran;
- representing its members within IFOAM - Organics International;
- representing its members to the outside;
- carrying out capacity building and extension activities at the national level in cooperation with the international organic movement;
- providing regional and local training programs for organic activists, based on IFOAM guidelines;
- building up an international relationship between Iranian activists and international organic activists;
- developing organic standards and regulations based on IFOAM norms; and
- accelerating the organic movement not only in Iran, but also in the region.
Iranian Participants in Fifth Organic Leadership Course (2017/2018)- IFOAM Academy 20 – 28 May 2017 Split, Vis Island, Croatia
The OLC offers a place to soak in knowledge on organic agriculture and holistic leadership skills in an interactive environment. IFOAM Academy in collaboration with the rera sd, undertook to organize the fifth Organic Leadership Course in Croatia on organic agriculture issue from 20 – 28 May 2017.
27 participants from 21 countries attended in the OLC course. Mr. Mohammadreza Davari and Mr. Aliakbar Shafighi attended in this training course from Iran. The facilitation team consisted of the manager of the IFOAM Academy Mr. Konrad Hauptfleisch and Mrs.Jelena Petrov.
Course overview: Lectures in the first to the third day of the OLC considered the general topics in organic agriculture. The Forth day was an excursion, a trip to Hvar Island by catamaran, vineyard visit. In the seventh day, Dr. Darko Znaor presented his research in field of hidden cost in agriculture section, assessment of environmental and economic consequences of 100% organic and organic farmers in 2050. In the evening of the same day, 4 presentations from Korean researchers, stated on transition of extension methodology and cultivation of organic rice in South Korea.
Outcomes of the OLC (2017/2018):
- A greater awareness, understanding and implementation of organic farming issues through discussions between experts.
- Innovative learning methods which would implement by lecturers and facilitators create a warm place for participants to be more active and creative.
- Better understanding of organic world, organic value chain, services and development by practical examples and participatory work per session.
Conclusion: Apart from the formal objectives, the course also resulted in a overcoming of challenges, key learning points related to finding the best way to encourage both farmers and consumers in the healthy way of life.
The 3rd ALGOA Summit in Goesan County, South Korea in August 31st – September 2nd
Management of Fruit and Vegetable Organization of Tehran Municipality and IFOAM-IRAN joined to the Asian Local Governments for Organic Agriculture (ALGOA)
The 3rd ALGOA Summit, successfully hosted by Goesan County, South Korea in August 31st – September 2nd . Mr. Andre Leu (President of IFOAM-International), Mr. Zhou Zejiang (President of IFOAM-Asia) and Mayor Na, Young Chan ( holder of the Presidency of ALGOA) were among the VIPs as well as more than 100 participants. Also, the invited speakers were from different countries such as South Korea, Philippines, Iran, Kyrgyzstan, India, Japan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, USA, China, Vietnam, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, etc.
Regarding to the novel supportive activities by the Tehran Municipality- Management of Fruit and Vegetable Organization in Cooperation with IFOAM-IRAN and Iran Organic Association for organizing a very efficient yearly organic festival “ Tehran Organic Week Festival” with the aim of developing and promoting production and marketing of organic products in Iran, a joint application by above mentioned organizations sent to ALGOA in order to being a register member among other active Asian municipalities from different countries. In this event, Dr. M. Reza Ardakani the Director of IFOAM-IRAN participated as one of the invited speakers and on behalf of the head of Tehran Municipality- Management of Fruit and Vegetable Organization (Mr. Abdolhossein Rahimi), Head of the Board of Iran Organic Association (Mr. Seyed Reza Nurani) and IFOAM-IRAN signed the MoU for further cooperations with ALGOA and its members.The purpose for the establishment of ALGOA is to facilitate the 100% adoption of organic agriculture in Asia.
The following activities of ALGOA are based on the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that has been signed among the founding local governments and IFOAM Asia.
• Policy Support for countries developing Organic Agriculture
• Information Exchanges on the best practices and innovations on Organic Agriculture
• Mutual exchanges of local government personnel / experts & organic stakeholders
• Education for local government officials on organic agriculture
• Hosting of the Annual ALGOA Summit
Click to see the full report on that event.
Joint Collaboration of Two IFOAM SOS
IFOAM-IRAN in cooperation with IFOAM Apiculture Forum hosted the workshop on “Organic Apiculture” in order to develop and promote production and marketing of organic honey products and beekeeping in Tehran-Iran, 4-5 July 2017.
The issue of organic production has attracted significant attention in Iran and positive measures have been taken in respect though further steps are required to catch up with the global pace of organic production mainly through filling the existing information gap. Deputy of Agriculture Minister for Livestock Production Dr. Hassan Rokni made the remarks while delivering a speech at the opening ceremony on organic apiculture workshop and called for acceleration of acquiring modern sciences and techniques in this field. He mentioned that two percent of the country’s honey production, equal to 1500 to 1600 tons, export to foreign markets.
125 participants from different disciplines such as beekeepers (individual or in cooperatives), post graduate students, faculty members, scientists from different research institutes, traders, stakeholders, private and governmental authorities attended in this 2 days workshop.
Mr. Ulrich Broker on behalf of IFOAM Apiculture Forum participated in this event from Germany as well as Dr. Gholamhosein Tahmasbi an Iranian scientist at Iran’s Ministry of Agriculture (expert in Biology and Ethology of Honey Bee), as resource persons.
The presented topics focused on:
- Economical, ecological and social implications of apiculture
- Legal norms and guidelines / official and private standards
- Perspectives of organic apicultural production
- Conversion problems, risk assessment and evaluation
- Specific apiary operations
- Quality management and assurance in organic apiculture
- Inspection and certification processes
- Labeling/ packaging and marketing
- Endemic Iranian bees and their potentials for honey production
The workshop supported by Iran Organic Association and Central Organization of Rural Cooperatives, Ministry of Agriculture of Iran.
Reported by: Dr. M.Reza Ardakani (info [at] iran.ifoam.bio)
Tehran Organic Week Festival
Iran Organic Association and IFOAM-IRAN in cooperation with Municipality of Tehran hosting “Tehran Organic Week Festival” in order to develop and promote production and marketing of organic products in Iran, 31 December 2016 - 6 January 2017. Mr. Thomas Cierpka on behalf of IFOAM- Organics International will participate in this event and present a lecture in the opening ceremony. Each day of the organic week named with specific topic related to organic food system program in order to increase public awareness and public knowledge for the benefits of consuming organic products and the visitors will attend in the workshops beside the fair.
ISOFAR goes to IRAN
"International Scientific Conference on Research and Innovation in Organic Agriculture” Scheduled on November 1st 2016 will be held in Isfahan- Iran. This conference will be a joint effort of the International Society of Organic Agriculture Research (ISOFAR) and IR. Azad University. Andre Leu the president of IFOAM, also invited as the key speaker in this event. The conference subjects will be on the following themes:
- The importance of research based programs for developing organic agriculture
- Introduction of ISOFAR and its roles in global organic movements
- Ethical issues in organic agriculture as a comprehensive agroecosystems
- Socioeconomic issues and market development of organic products
- Scientific based and practical issues for organic plant production and animal husbandry
Please, notice that the registration deadline is October 21st 2016!
Tehran Organic Week Festival
In cooperation with Municipality of Tehran, Iran Organic Association and IFOAM-IRAN will host the Tehran Organic Week Festival in order to develop, promote production, and export of organic products in Iran.
The event will take place at Tehran, Boostan Goftego from the 19th - 25th December, 2015.
For registration please click tehran_organic_week_2015.docx
third international conference on Trade and development of organic products
International Organic Conference in Tehran (May 2014)