Here you can find the current version of the IFOAM Norms, approved by the membership of IFOAM - Organics International in July 2014. The document was edited in 2017, however with no major content changes. The document includes new versions of the IFOAM Standard (Version 2.0) and the IFOAM Accreditation Requirements (Version 2.0).
The IFOAM Norms are the basis for approval of certification bodies under the IFOAM Accreditation Program.
In 2010, IFOAM launched its new Organic Guarantee System (OGS). The implementation of this new OGS brought major changes to the IFOAM Norms.
Since 2012, the IFOAM norms contain the following normative documents:
- The IFOAM Standard: an off-the-shelf certification standard.
- The IFOAM Standards Requirements, also called the Common Objectives and Requirements of Organic Standards (COROS), which replaced the IFOAM Basic Standards (IBS)
- The IFOAM Accreditation Requirements (formerly IFOAM Accreditation Criteria).
The development of the IFOAM Norms is regulated by the IFOAM Policy 20 and involves three committees (for more information, please visit the OGS Commitees page) and goes through a number of public consultation rounds and membership motion processes.
Earlier Versions of the IFOAM Norms
In October 2018, the 2014 Version was re-published with new edits approved by the IFOAM-Organics International World Board. Edits consisted in the adition of the preamble to the IFOAM Accreditation Requirements (page 91).
In June 2017, the 2014 Version was re-published as an edited version 2017. Edits concerned only the name of IFOAM (changed to IFOAM-Organics International) and the removal of the concept of "IFOAM Global Organic System Accreditation" (now simply called "IFOAM Accreditation"). Additionally, the footnote to requirement 9.2.2. in the IFOAM Accreditation Requirements was edited to refer to the IFOAM program of recognition of conformity assessment systems, set-up in 2015.
What has changed in the IFOAM norms between Version 2005 and the subsequent versions?
- The IFOAM Basic Standards (IBS) has been replaced by the IFOAM Standard, which has been approved through electronic membership vote ending on the 5th of August 2012.
- The Plant Breeding Draft Standards have been deleted (they are now integrated into the approved IFOAM Standard).
- The COROS (Common Objectives and Requirements of Organic Standards – IFOAM Standards Requirements), approved in July 2011, has been added to the book of norms.
- The IFOAM Accreditation Criteria for Bodies Certifying Organic Production and Processing has been renamed the “IFOAM Accreditation Requirements for Bodies Certifying Organic Production and Processing”, in line with the OGS membership vote of July 2010, and the corresponding edits have been included throughout the document, as well as small changes in its introduction. Its reference to the IBS has been changed to reference the IFOAM Standard.
- Introductory and general sections on the IFOAM Norms, the IFOAM Organic Guarantee System, the IFOAM Accreditation Program, etc. have been updated.